Monday, May 19, 2008

What Happened At Mumbai?

I was a little busy on Friday, so I thought I’ll be able to catch only the second half of the Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders match. But when I tried to switch the TV on, there was nothing on it except the boring talking heads giving gyaan, and the stadium in the background was empty. I was like “What just happened here?”

When I pulled up the score on IPLrocks.com Live Scoreboard, I was shocked. The Mumbai Indians had murdered the Knight Riders in a match that lasted just 21 overs!!! I’ve never seen a team collapse in 15 overs before, and this is a first for the Knight Riders as well! Pollock apparently did some wonderful bowling, earning a well-deserved man-of-the-match.

Going down the scorecard, I noticed a couple of interesting things. Sachin got out for a duck. This is his second match, and he’s not scored anything of significance. Is he going Dravid’s way? Unlikely. Sachin is probably the best in the world, and it’ll be stupid to predict his demise.

The second interesting thing was Jayasuriya’s score. 48 runs in 17 balls, with 9 hits to the fence. I mean, this guy is on a roll! He finished off the match before the powerplay could get over. Oh dear god! This win help’s Mumbai’s NRR tremendously, and puts them now in contention to be in the semis. Well done, folks!